Wednesday 5 October 2011

Hard hats needed

Although I value my independence and would not live my life any other way, there are times I feel a little lonely with just my fish for company. Ideally I would like a dog but that is impossible for both practical and tenancy reasons.

I have however returned to childhood and bought myself a little hamster. Well, I say little... As far as hamsters go, he is an enormous fat fluffball. But don't tell him I said that.
Hmmmm.  I should probably also keep it a secret from ATOS, the medical company who determine if you're fit to work, who reputedly think that if you have pets you are fit to work. (It really is a question they are told to ask claimants!)

Yesterday saw me engaged in an epic battle of wills with Chewbacca (Chewy for short), who suddenly decided that sleeping in the comfortable snug house at the bottom in the cage was a bad idea and he would instead make his bed inside the plastic tunnels meant for exercising.
Ignoring the laws of gravity, he carefully carried his food and bedding all the way to the tunnel and left them there to go and fetch more, whereupon they promptly fell out. I would gather them up and put them back in his bed, but to no avail.
He eventually fell asleep in the tunnel, falling out onto his head half way through the evening. I'm still wondering whether this will knock some sense into him or cause irreparable brain damage.

Throughout this frustrating battle I couldn't help but be reminded of how I feel at the moment with the government. Take something that works and stubbornly try something different which quite obviously will not.  We fight against it with all our might, knowing that if we don't something bad will happen.  Right now I'm just waiting for the government to fall out of their own tunnel onto their heads.

The only difference is that in Chewy's case the only person hurt was a little (ok, fat and fluffy) hamster. With the government it will be thousands of disabled people. Maybe we all need to be issued with hard hats.


No comments:

Post a Comment